Updated: Feb 26
Contact A Los Angeles Divorce Lawyer Referral Service
When you're going through a divorce and looking for Los Angeles divorce lawyer, remember that you don't have to hire the first attorney you find. Choosing the right divorce lawyer to assist you through your divorce is perhaps the most important decisions you'll make.
There are lots of lawyers out there, and many advertise themselves as "family law" or "Los Angeles Divorce Lawyer". Within the area of family law, there are even further specialties, such as child custody law, guardianship, and an area of the law involving Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs), which are special orders required to divide certain types of retirement benefits during a divorce.
In addition, there are many financial aspects and documents needed during a divorce, including:
Financial disclosure requirements between spouses
Alimony and how to calculate the right amount
Child support and how to calculate it if your divorce is filed in California.
The division of property and assets
The division of retirement benefits between spouses.
There are specific laws that affect all these issues which are frequently updated, so you'll need to find a pre-screened Los Angeles Divorce Lawyer that's familiar with the current rules in California.
Here are the top 10 questions you want to ask your Los Angeles Divorce Lawyer during your initial interview:
1. Do you specialize in divorces and how long have you been practicing family law? Are you a "certified family law specialist?" Have to handled a divorce case similar to mine?
2. Based on the specifics of my divorce, what is your strategy?
3. How do I get a hold of you in case I have any questions?
4. If someone else from your office will be involved in my divorce? Do they have experience in divorce cases?
5. What is your hourly rate and how will you charge me? What is your retainer up front, do you accept payment plans?
6. Besides your attorney's fees, are there any other costs associated with my divorce?
7. What's your total estimate for my divorce? Remember, sometimes it's difficult to predict how the other side will act, if your spouse's attorney will put up a fight that prolongs the duration of your case.
8. How can I keep my costs down? Is there anything I can do only own that will help save me some money?
9. Based on what you know about my divorce, how would you predict the outcome?
10. What are the potential tax implications?
If you need assistance, contact the Los Angeles Divorce Lawyer Referral Service