Top 3 Misconceptions About Bicycle Laws In California

What You Need To Know About Your Rights As A Cyclist In California

Cyclists are one of the most vulnerable to traffic accidents. Even with all the safety precautions, accidents can still lead to a lot of physical injuries, which subsequently result in financial losses and emotional distress.


In some cases, cyclists are made to believe they're a nuisance and that accidents are their fault alone. This is why a lot of cyclists choose not to file claims with a Los Angeles Bicycle Attorney.

That said, let's talk about 3 of the most common misconceptions about California bicycle laws and how you can overcome them.


bike accident lawyer los angeles

3 Misconceptions About California Bicycle Laws

Whether or not you've been in a bicycle accident in California lately, you still need to know the most crucial laws that are often misconceived. Knowing about these laws could affect your next move, should you file claims with a bike accident lawyer in Los Angeles in the future:


Misconception #1: It Is Always The Cyclist's Fault

There is an element of discrimination against bicyclists. Most people believe that cyclists are responsible for getting out of everyone's way and that cars have the priority in traffic.

This is not true. When deciding fault in bicycle accidents, your Los Angeles Bicycle Attorney is going to assess the facts and look for the negligent party. After all, if another driver fails to follow traffic rules and injures you in the process, then they can be considered the one at fault.


So, if another car, vehicle, or person was negligent in your accident, you shouldn't worry about filing claims against them. Plus, our prescreened bike accident lawyers in Los Angeles are experienced in handling these cases, so they'll know how to manage and negotiate with other parties and their insurance companies.


Misconception #2: Being Partially At Fault Means You Can't File Personal Injury Claims For Bicycle Accidents In California

Just because you were partially at fault in the accident doesn't mean you throw away the right to seek compensation for your injuries. In California personal injury law, shared fault is decided in percentages.

For example, if you were 20% responsible for an accident, the other party still needs to pay you the remaining 80% of the total damages incurred.


That said, doing so needs some calculations and a solid case to defend your interests. A Los Angeles Bicycle Attorney will be experienced in this regard, and can help you get the most out of your Personal Injury Claim.


Los Angeles Bicycle Attorney

Misconception #3: You Can't Negotiate With Insurance Adjusters

Again, since cyclists are often blamed for all accidents, they're often discouraged from negotiating higher compensation from insurance adjusters. However, most insurance companies are prejudiced against cyclists and motorists and will deliberately refuse to give the right compensation by minimizing injuries and using underhanded tactics.

A Los Angeles Bicycle Attorney knows that insurance adjusters could be prejudiced and underhanded. However, they'll also know how to deal with them from experience. If you ever come face to face with an insurance adjuster, have your California bicycle accident attorney negotiate in your place instead of falling for their schemes.


California Personal Injury: A Definition

Any sort of physical, emotional, or financial injury sustained by a person due to a negligent accident is legally described as personal injury. This means that you are regarded as "injured" not only because of broken bones and wounds but also because of medical bills, missed work, lost income, and emotional suffering.


What Is The Purpose Of A California Personal Injury Claim?

If you or a family member has been hurt due to someone else's negligence, you may be able to file a personal injury claim in California under personal injury compensation rules. Accident victims are compensated and negligent parties are held liable under these personal injury laws.


The amount of money you receive is influenced by several factors, including the injuries you sustain, property damage, medical expenditures, and emotional distress.